Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Curve balls

Life... throws you curve balls. At times, and on some occasions, the ball smacks the bat dead center, and you get a home run. The crowd cheers you on as you take off running. You feel proud of what you have accomplished as your foot hits each base. The sensation is immensely rewarding, and you can't wait to hit the next one! Then, your luck fails you, and a sigh comes across the field from your peers and family as they see you have failed. You feel down on your good fortune, but you pick up the bat and keep swinging until you hit another one. The game ends, and you have done nothing but strike out. The feeling that you get in the pit of your stomach tightens and you feel like a failure. For a while you feel bummed, and complain about what went wrong. The next game comes and it is okay, but not ecstatic, so your weeks outcome is a little better. After a while you notice a cycle in your game plan; you know that sometimes you are going to hit a home run, and other games you will strike out, but no matter what happens in the game, as long as you keep your head up, you will always get better.
Life... throws you curve balls. You are going to have your good days, and your bad days. You will have horrible moments and perfect moments, and sometimes you won’t want to pick the bat up and keep swinging. Life is constantly going to be throwing curve balls your way, and depending on how you react to it, is how it will make or break you. Life is worth living for every moment of it. Experiences are what make a person, especially the bad moments; at least I see it that way. I have grown so much from the bad days that I have had to overcome. People who have hurt me, things that have happened to me, are all things that I would never take back. I don’t regret how my life has come to be. I have learned from it. I have experienced things that one person should never have to endure in one life time and I am happy to have gone through it. There is still pain, and memories that flash before me that make me remember the bad days, but I take it with a grain of salt, because I love living.
I don’t dwell on the past; I spend my time getting excited for what is next in my life. What obstacle will I get to face next, who will I get to meet, who will I become friends with, what is still in store for me? Spending time thinking about what happened in the past is exhausting, and not worth it. I grow in my life, by what I have experience and learned.
I watched the opening episode to Lost when it first came out, when Kate was stitching up Jacks body. He tells her a story about when he was scared, he would count to five. Ever since I watched that episode the very first time, I took that in. Pain for me is one of the easiest things to let go of, because I know that it will only hurt for a second emotionally if I let it.
Life throws you curve balls, it’s what happens. It’s something that you are not in control of, but you are in control of how you handle the situation. And it is up to you whether you keep the bat swinging or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment